gruvee

OOC Section
Steam Name: Gruvee

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:17536689

Steam Community Profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/YouAreARetard/

IC Section
Character Name: Clint Barton

Character Age: 25

Character Description: A moderate-height, blonde-haired and rather sunburnt man that doesn't seem to blink much. He's wearing a rugged set of reinforced leather armor with a hunting shotgun slung over his shoulder alongside a hide rucksack.

Requested Items (List all, if any):
  • A Hunting Shotgun in relatively good condition with a decent amount of regular 12 gauge buckshot and a smaller amount of 12 gauge slugs.
  • A full set of reinforced leather armor.
Requested Skills: Above average knowledge and skill with firearms and military tactics, thanks to boot camp and 6 years' service in the NCR infantry. Limited CQB skills again thanks to the meager amount of time spent at boot camp and what he had learned while on tour.

Character Backstory (Or why you have the gear/skills, the more you ask the more should be provided):
In 2257, Clint Barton was born into a family of livestock farmers living on the outskirts of The Hub, a core state of the New California Republic. Growing up with four other siblings, life was relatively hard with the Barton family barely making enough caps to sustain themselves, despite most of them working on a nearby ranch. It wasn't long before Clint himself shared duties on the ranch and did so for a good amount of years until he became eighteen years old. A few months after becoming of age, a man had appeared on the doorstep of the Barton residence. Clint had been chosen to be drafted into the NCR Infantry; though his parents were at-first dismayed by this news, Clint assured them that it was a good thing and that his pay as a soldier would better assist the family.

Thus, in 2275, Clint was placed in boot camp at Shady Sands to partake in physical and weapons training to become a soldier of the Republic. After two weeks, his training was done and at first, Clint believed that he would be stationed somewhere within California for an easy, boring assignment. This indeed did become the case, with the man being posted in a military installation outside of the city of Redding for two years. As time went on, it became clear that tensions were rising in the Mojave desert around the army's installation at Hoover Dam, which was sending reports of an unknown enemy closing in on the Dam. Clint's platoon was called out of guard duty and sent east, along the I-15 to eventually arrive in the Mojave and provide support to the defending forces occupying Hoover Dam. When his platoon had arrived close to the Dam, they linked up with the surviving NCR force outside of the destroyed Boulder City, providing assistance in driving back the remaining forces that were revealed to be enslaved fighters of Caesar's Legion, which were decimated in the explosion triggered in Boulder City. After forcing the Legion out of the Mojave, Clint and his platoon had resumed defense of the Hoover Dam while efforts were concentrated on rebuilding the fortification and getting the dam back up running.

After a year of being stationed at the dam, Clint and his contingent were notified of forces up near Bitter Springs requiring additional support, to which they mobilized and joined in on what would go on to be called the Bitter Springs massacre. While the NCR forces had pushed through the main fighting force of the Great Khans, they were met by defenseless women and children, to which they were ordered to fire upon. Clint had been on the frontline and witnessed first-hand of the atrocities he and his company had committed, with the civilians of the tribe being forced to retreat while still being fired upon by the 1st Recon. After the battle, Clint was stationed at the camp that was established in the remains of the Great Khan encampment. The following year was rather hard on Clint; he was haunted by nightmares of the massacre and exhibited signs of PTSD, to which he sought to suppress by taking jet. For the next few years, Clint had become fully dependent on jet, which at-first indeed did help with his symptoms of post-traumatic stress, but the following addiction ravaged his already feeble willpower.

In 2281, Clint's addiction had been found out by a fellow soldier, who attempted to help Clint by taking his supply of jet and planned to dispose of it to help Clint kick his addiction. This turned out to backfire horribly, with Clint pulling his combat knife on his buddy and after a brief struggle, murdering him in cold blood. A few soldiers had returned to the tent to witness Clint standing over his dead friend with a bloodied knife, to which he was thrown into the brig until the brass figured out when to hold his trial. His trial never came, with Clint managing to find a weakness in the wall of his cell, breaking through the worn scrap wall in the dead of the night. He snuck around the building and into the front of the brig-house, to retrieve his belongings including his service rifle, ammunition, and life-savings earned from his tour of duty. Knowing that his career as a soldier was ended, Clint headed towards the only place he figured the NCR would not find him: east, into Arizona. Along the way, he managed to find a roving trader to which he sold his service rifle and uniform for a set of reinforced leather armor and a hunting shotgun, as well as provisions for the road ahead, using most of his life-savings in the process to pay for said items and also pay-off the trader to not notify the Legion of the presence of a deserter in their lands. The trader offered Clint to be his guard, which would be able to get him past the Legion's border encampments with ease. Clint accepted and the two traveled eastward, while Clint began to fight his withdrawal from no longer using jet.

Days turned into weeks as the two ventured eastward; after finding a rather safe abandoned shack built into the side of a cliff, Clint and the trader hunkered down to rest for the night. This was when Clint found himself fighting the worst of his withdrawal, and so, tied himself down to a table to outlast the waves of withdrawal attacking his system. He managed to suffer through the barrage of migraines and nausea until he figured he had gotten through the worst of it and he was completely clean. The two left the shack, with the trader telling Clint of the town of Whitford which was safe under the banner of the Legion. Clint thanked the trader and the two diverged with Clint going towards the town. Arriving there, he heard of a frightening development in the west: the NCR had won a second battle for Hoover Dam, and were on a warpath eastward into Arizona. Clint lied low in the town of Whitford, performing odd-jobs here and there as he watched the garrison of Legionaries dwindle into none as they were called into battle against the Republic. Clint simply waited to bide his time and figure out what to do next while staying in the town of Whitford, upon hearing news of an encroaching battalion of NCR soldiers and a splinter-faction of the Legion rising up to meet the Republic's forces.

Do you understand that your items/authorizations can be taken away at any time, should it be found that you had abused or misused the authorization in any way?
ya

Last edited:

Lt. Dan Taylor

Forum Moderator
Fallout Staff
I don't really mind the armor, I can see why you might have it and I find it not very much to ask for, but the Hunting Shotgun is perhaps a bit much. Would you be satisfied keeping the Service Rifle your trooper deserted with? The values for both weapons aren't very equal.

Besides that I don't see any other problems, I appreciate the drawbacks and mixed-nature of your character.

gruvee

I had the character ditch the service rifle for a reason, since the NCR/CL would probably wonder why he would have such a weapon. Also, the service rifle wasn't the only thing explicitly traded for the hunting shotgun, since I said that he spent most of his life-savings as well. With those explanations out of the way, I'd be fine with having the Service Rifle and I'll just deal with the IC repercussions for keeping it.

Lt. Dan Taylor

Forum Moderator
Fallout Staff
I had the character ditch the service rifle for a reason, since the NCR/CL would probably wonder why he would have such a weapon. Also, the service rifle wasn't the only thing explicitly traded for the hunting shotgun, since I said that he spent most of his life-savings as well. With those explanations out of the way, I'd be fine with having the Service Rifle and I'll just deal with the IC repercussions for keeping it.

Hm.. Alright, how about I give you a Varmint Rifle and instead of spending your life savings you were able to retain most of it? The service rifle is a semi-automatic 5.56 rifle so we can just set that down to a bolt-action 5.56 rifle and exchange it for a number of caps.

gruvee

Yeah, that sounds fine by me. Didn't mean to create a problem when I applied for the shotgun, but I'm glad it got sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.