What's new
  • Hello Guest, join our discord! https://discord.gg/89kBZQx

[Suggestion] Standard Weapon/Armor Rules

ringo

FORP Damage Rules

Just about every fallout RP server always runs into the same issue at one point and that is people having massively varying opinions on how powerful/weak their armor is. In attempt to avoid confusion and just have a basis for people to refer to, I’ve gone ahead and made this thread. Since the armor in fallout is make believe and there is nothing for us to compare it to in the real world, I’ve always viewed threads like this to be necessary. Fire-arms on the other hand are quite self-explanatory and we have plenty real world references to refer to. I will give a little exert on plasma and laser weaponry aswell as explosives.

Armor

Armor will be handled mostly by comparisons to modern day ballistic vests as far as bullets go. I will add references to melee protection aswell per piece of armor.

Type I: The weakest type of armor protecting against .22 LR and .38 FMJ.

Type IIA: Protects against 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP, aswell as all of the above.

Type II: Protects against .357 Magnum aswell as all of the above.

Type IIIA: Protects against .44 Magnum, 5.56 and all of the above.

Tyipe III: Protects against 7.62 and all of the above.

Type IV: The strongest type of armor protecting against .308, 30-06, AP rounds and all of the above.

A very important note is that just because a vest protects against a certain calliber, does not make you a walking tank against that bullet. That bullet will still knock you back, even land you on your back depending on the calliber. It has the full possibility of breaking ribs or bones, all this armor protects you against is the round ending your life as opposed to leaving you with severe bruising. Several rounds striking your vest will cause the ceramic weave to deterioate, meaning it will no longer be effective. Once a vest is ruined, unless if you’re a master armor smith, it is as good as junk.

Example: Type III vest is struck 3 times around the same area with 7.62. That third bullet will pentrate and cause the same damage whether or not you had the vest. Those first two bullets would also cause some serious damage, likely breaking a rib or three, causing severe bruising and knocking you down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletproof_vest

Power Armor

Power armor has always been subject to tremendous debate, but hopefully here we can hammer out a rule of thumb we can all abide by. I intend for power armor to be represented as it was in Fallout New Vegas where it was a suit of armor as opposed to walking tank as portrayed in Fallout 4.

Requirements: Power armor training. - This means you can’t simply pick up a suit of power armor and run off without any training. Power armor training isn’t very well described, but I view it as learning to drive a car, easy to learn, difficult to master, but if you have no one with experience to teach you, you won’t learn it.

T-45d

Ballistic Protection: Type IIIA for the steel plated armor and a ballistic weave around the weaker points offering a protection of Type I.

Energy Protection: None. Infact T-45 is incredibly susecptible to laser damage, as a laser beam striking it’s metal plating could cause the entire piece to heat up effectively frying the human inside.

Melee Protection: Nearly 100% blade protection and great protection against blunt weapons. The user of the blunt weapon will likely have to have tremendous strength to cause anything more then denting.

T-51Bb

Ballistic Protection: Type III for the steel plated armor and a ballistic weave around the weaker points offer a protection of Type IIA.

Energy Protection: 10-micron-thick silver ablative coating can reflect laser and other radiation emissions. This doesn’t mean that if struck with a laser rifle the projectile would return to it’s shooter. Does not protect at all against plasma weaponry.

Melee Protection: Nearly 100% blade protection and great protection against blunt weapons. The user of the blunt weapon will likely have to have tremendous strength to cause anything more then denting.

Combat/Ranger Armor

Combat/Ranger Patrol Armor

Ballistic Protection: Type II for the plated armor pieces while beneath that is a Type 1 ballistic weave.

Energy Protection: None.

Melee Protection: Complete blade protection against the plated regions, however is vulnerable at the joints where there is no plating. Moderate blunt force protection in plated regions.

Mk2 Combat/Veteran Ranger Armor

Ballistic Protecetion: Type IIIA for the armor plating and Type IIA ballistic weave as shown on the model.

Energy Protection: None.

Melee Protection: Complete blade protection against the plated region, however is vulnerable at joints where there is no plating. Moderate blunt force protection in plated regions.

Common Armors

Seeing as there’s going to be a good dozen different common armors, these two catagories should cover whichever yours happens to be.

Leather Armor

Ballistic Protection: None.

Energy Protection: Moderate, if struck in a region where there are several layers of leather, it will dissipate some of the damage, but likely still cause less severe burns beneath.

Melee Protection: Moderate protection against blades where there is leather, virtually no protection against blunt force.

Metal Armor

Ballistic Protection: The actual metal armor suit offers Type IIA protection against bullets where metal plated. Slabbing a piece of metal onto any piece of armor does not offer such protection. The ballistic protection is exclusive to the metal armor script, not any metal on any piece of armor.

Energy Protection: Incredibly susecptible to laser damage, as a laser beam striking it’s metal plating could cause the entire piece to heat up effectively frying the human inside.

Melee Protection: Complete protection against blades in plated areas and moderate protection against blunt force.

Super Mutants

I feel this deserves it’s own category as there’s a lot of conflict with what super mutants are/aren’t capable of. This is just a general rule of thumb you can apply to any radation altered creature akin to super mutants, such as deathclaws, geckos, aspects of this will apply to ghouls, etc.

“Super mutants are immune to disease and radiation, and are gifted with superhuman strength and endurance. Although they are completely sterile, the rapid regeneration of their cells caused by FEV makes them virtually biologically immortal.(but not immune to death from injury).” -Fallout Wiki

Physical Abilities: I’ve viewed super mutants similar to bears when charging, capable of reaching speeds of up to 40 MPH when in a charge. This of course lasts a very short time period. Obviously they’re very physically capable and superior genetics allow them to recover faster from wounds, especially if in a radiation heavy enviroment. This however does not mean a super mutant can take four 5.56 rounds, run into a radiation pit then wake up the next morning as good as new.

“Their skin is extremely tough, and their muscle and bone structure are enhanced well beyond the human norm.” - Fallout Wiki

Biological Protection: This means their skin is much stronger than your average humanoid. Naturally their skin would offer a Type I protection against bullets, but even then, it would take quite a bit of small arms fire to kill them. The most effective way of taking them out is definitely larger round weapons and repetitive fire.

Mutants don’t have the same need for their internal organs that humans do, allowing them to fight longer even with deadly blows striking them. They are most susecptible to damage if you hit them in the eyes, the armpits, neck, and other places where a person's skin isn't very thick.

Super mutants are by no means unkillable, but must take additional tactful planning before assaulting. Ultimately I feel like the bear example is always a good reference when in doubt. You’d never want anything beneath a .357 if defending yourself against a bear, ideally .44 and up.

Energy Weapons & Explosives

Energy weapons and explosives are both tools I see misroleplayed rather frequently, usually in the event of people taking signficantlly less damage then what one of these would realistically cause. In Fallout toward the end of the war the Americans started using energy weapons over fire-arms as they killed the enemy more effiecently, keep that in mind next time one of these strikes you.

Laser Weaponry

Laser weapons come in all shapes and sizes, varying in power and force, but I’ll just run over generally what a laser would do to one if it struck your character.

Against Flesh: Severe burn, pentrating flesh and likely scorching any organs in it’s pathway. Causing 3rd-4th degree burns in the region where it struck, which would be a rather large area. Burns would likely require skin grafts, amputations and cause necrosis.

Againt Metal Armor: The bullet would strike the metal, likely burning through it and causing the entire piece to heat up to very high tempatures scolding the person beneath, causing a larger area of damage to the target, albeit less concentrated.

Against Leather Armor: This is the poor mans energy weapon protection. It’s not great, but the most effective thing short of T51b leaded painting. The more layers of leather the better, any material that doesn’t absorb heat very well will help defend and lessen the damage of energy weapons. However they most certainly will burn through and cause damage beneath, but at a lower degree then if it was just exposed flesh.

Plasma Weaponry

There is virtually no defense against plasma weaponry, not even power armor. Imagine a glob of liquid tar striking you and melting everything in it’s path away. You’ll just want to hope it doesn’t hit center mass as a missing hand is better then losing your life. Plasma weapons do however fire considerably slower than ballistic, allowing actual reaction times should they be far enough away.

Explosives

The kill radius of a modern day frag gernade is 5 meters while the casualty radius is 15 meters. Gernades are typically meant to cause casualties as opposed to kill, but get close enough and you’ll definitely die. The primary damage from a frag gernade is the fragmentation itself, not the explosion, once going off, bits of metal is sent everywhere in a 15 meter vacinity.

The U.S. standard fuse for a gernade is 4-5.5 seconds. This means you won’t have time to grab the gernade and throw it back or anything of the sort. Should a gernade roll into a room full of people your best bet is to go for cover or play hero and jump ontop of it, saving everyone else.

Just use good judgement whenever it comes to explosives, I’m sure you’ll encounter much more then just frags, but I feel the current U.S. standard is a good basis to roll by.

Final Comments: Thank you for reading this far, I don’t expect anyone to memorize this or have even read the entire thing completely, rather just use this as a reference for whenever you’re in doubt or a possible disagreement pops up. Have a blast RPing!

Sand

1560297134250.png
good thing to work off of but i wouldn't take any of this as binding or law; a number of things here are easily disputable- but it'll be a good thing to point people to if people don't really know what gear is going on.

In terms of SMutant speed, 40mph is simply excessive. They have long strides and a lot of power, but they're hardly the most co-ordinated bunch, typically, and their huge mass tends to slow them. Bears are quick because they run with their great strength on all fours, not two's, with armour and weaponry.

You also typed Gernade 6 times.

Gernade.

Lt. Dan Taylor

Forum Moderator
Fallout Staff
This is something that as staff we've tried to specifically avoid. We don't want armor penetration and ballistic guides for the server and the logic used for firefights is basically as such: as it is in real life.

This isn't going to be used.

ringo

This is something that as staff we've tried to specifically avoid. We don't want armor penetration and ballistic guides for the server and the logic used for firefights is basically as such: as it is in real life.

This isn't going to be used.
I think it's good to at least have some sort of mild consensus because frequently you run into scenarios where someone thinks a laser rifle would do absolutely nothing to power armor while another might think that a laser rifle would decimate power armor depending on the grade. If you just leave it up to admin discretion then it's going to change with whatever that particular admin's opinion on the matter is. You certainly don't have to use it, but I've found something akin to this to at least clear up some confusion and debate.

Type IIIA does not protect from 5.56x45mm.
It can theoretically stop subsonic 5.56x45mm rounds but it is not rated for this so consistency between different designs of armor of type IIIA is not guaranteed to stop it.

T-45D being level IIIA would make it garbage and obsolete.
Combat armor and ranger armor being IIIA or lower makes them practically a joke. Plenty of vests in real life can stop a rifle round so there's no point saying that they can't simply because there's power armor that's capable of doing so for the whole body.

Bruh moment.